Tuesday, October 30, 2012

HAPPY HALLOWEEN


Ok so I'm about an hour early in my Halloween wishes.  I have been reading about this holiday and how some think that if you are religious person you can't possibly celebrate Halloween.  Well I consider myself religious, I believe in God and am proud to do so.  I do not celebrate this holiday in the mean, scary way......but rather in a cute way.  I decorate my home because my kids enjoy the decorations and so do I.  We do not worship evil spirits, I think this holiday has become more about having fun, letting our kids play dress up, carving pumpkins, walking through corn mazes and pumpkin patches, getting hay rides.......watching cute Halloween cartoons and movies.  (Yes I watch cartoons)  :D  

I know several churches that put on parties for this holiday to let kids in to another way of celebrating.  I think only God knows what is truly in our hearts, and that is enough for me.  

Aiden's father was in town last weekend for his birthday, and we were going to carve the pumpkins then as we did last year, but I just forgot.  I have been super busy in my day to day life that it just didn't come up.  I was also busy that weekend getting ready for his party, and both boys did their belt testing for Taekwondo.  Aiden was belt testing for his green tip, while AJ was testing for his green belt.  Both passed, they did an awesome job.  This was also the month that Black belts tested, so it was a huge crowd, and we are hoping they will get their belts/colors next week.  

So I let the kids pick out their pumpkins Friday, and we carved them this weekend.  We even found a pumpkin carving saw....yep you read that right!!  

Our pumpkin carving kits!  I found the saw on sale for $3.00

  I had my father and AJ cut off the tops and scoop out the guts.......that way that mess would be out of the way for carving. 
  So we had our kits ready, next was taking a "before" picture.

Boys ready for carving!!!

So we got the pic, sun was in our way, but what are ya gonna do?  LOL

Aiden hard at work putting his pattern onto his pumpkin.

I cannot do that part, it cramps up my hand too much.  I will say that using the saw was not as easy and fast as I thought, I ended up putting the battery operated saw down to use the old fashion carving knife you get with the kit.  I think AJ used it for awhile too.  

All in all it was fun!  The boys enjoyed it.  I had to run out to buy candles for them tonight.  AJ has been in Robotics at school, so he stays after for about 2 1/2 hours, I don't mind, at least I don't have to fight the traffic when school is letting out. His Robotics is over in another week, and then he is joining the swim team, so again he will be late getting home as they will practice every day.  I hope he enjoys being on the team, he enjoys swimming.  He is doing so well in school.  He has always been a C student in math and algebra, except last year he finally brought that up to a B.  But Geometry he absolutely loves, and got an A on his last test!!!  I am so proud of him.  Aiden brought home two tests.  He takes a spelling test every Friday and has gotten a perfect score on every single one.  They are now taking a writing test as well and a math test, all of which he has gotten 100% on.  I am so proud of both my boys.  

So be safe out there tomorrow if you are taking little ones out Trick or Treating.  Make sure to take a flash light too!  I will be taking my little Aiden out, and I think AJ is hanging out with some friends. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I misssed doing jack-o-lanterns with the grandkids this year. Thanks for posting pictures of the ones you made.

Trish said...

Hey, The thing about celebrating Halloween if you're religious reminded me of something I saw on Facebook awhile back...

a 10 year old was asked by another classmate what is it like to be a christian?
the girl said its like being a pumpkin.
God picks u from the patch, brings u in and washes all the dirt off u
then he cuts open the top and scoops out all the yucky stuff he removes the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. and then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside of you for all the world to see.


I like that thought!

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Bev, I really enjoy doing this. I am sorry you missed doing it with the grand kids this year. Hopefully next year.

Trish, I love it!!